Dream Guides




Very interesting!
For many years I have had two recurring dreams. The most frequent one is being in a parking lot or on the street and not being able to find my car. Even if I recall where I parked it, it's not there when I to that spot. I know that a car symbolizes power and control but I never researched the true meaning behind that dream. I don't put much stock in dream interpretation, I believe most dreams come from "day residue" things you did or thought about during the day that show up in your dreams. It made sense for many dreams but not this recurring dream. I did an online search and found this explanation from Dr. Oz's website:

Stress Dream: Losing Your Car or Your Car Gets Stolen
This stress dream is connected to uncertainty or loss of motivation. Your car represents your “drive” and motivation to continue to move forward in some area. If this is your stress dream, you need to ask yourself what in your life you no longer have the desire to continue with. Is it your job? A relationship? A project? If that doesn’t fit, ask yourself what is causing you to feel uncertain and directionless. Maybe you can’t find a job and no longer know what to do. Or perhaps your kids are unruly and you don’t know which path to take in order to deal with them.


The Lesson: Whether it’s lack of motivation or uncertainty, your dreaming mind wants you to find a new path, and get your drive or mojo back, which is why it keeps taking your car away from you in your dream.  Time to try something different because the direction you are headed in now isn’t going to get you anywhere.  

That made sense! I've often felt that my job was not the right place for me. I should have been writing or making art. I certainly shouldn't have been spending up to 15 hours a week commuting. Maybe my dream was a subconcious wish that I would lose my car so I couldn't go to work.

I also frequently lost my motivation for writing the novel I've been penning for the past 6 years and am finally abandoning. So retirement will be a great gift. I can stay home and write and feel more motivation for getting up each day. And maybe I'll stop dreaming about losing my car.

The other dream I've had several times, though a bit less frequently is that I'm walking down the street and a tidal wave of water comes rushing toward me. It may have begun with all the news about tsunamis a few years ago, but then again perhaps this explains it better:

Stress Dream: Tidal Wave
If this is your stress dream then you have something in common with CNN’s Piers Morgan because he has it too! The stress this dream is connected to is being overwhelmed by too many responsibilities. Just as the tidal wave surges over your head and threatens to sweep you away, you are getting in over your head in waking life responsibilities that threaten to pull you away from any down time. Less often, this dream can be connected to an emotional situation that is overwhelming you. If you suffer from depression or anxiety, these dreams can be a heads up that another bout is on the way – so prepare!
The Lesson: Like the wave, your dream is showing you that your responsibilities or your anxiety are getting bigger than you are. It’s time to take something off your plate, ask for help, or delegate some of your responsibilities to someone else. If it’s anxiety or depression, make plans to go see a comedy or spend some time outside with friends who make you laugh. Like the wave, if you don’t lighten your load or lighten your mood, you are headed for a crash!

I often felt overwhelmed by all the things I try to do and the little bit of time and energy I had to do them. I've felt like I was drowning and had no way out. I had to keep working, I had to keep writing and I had to keep making art. Weekends also made me feel overwhelmed by the things I had to do, the things I wanted to do, and the need to just rest and relax.

Retirement will take care of that too. Perhaps in the next dream I'll just turn toward the tidal wave and dive right in to this next phase of my life and all my creative projects that I will finally have time for.

I've arrange with my Directors to work 2 days a week, 5 hours each day, to help out while we transition a new person into my job. I can deal with that. Keeps me connected to the staff I love and still leaves me creative time.

Couldn't be better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poems for Mother's Day

Mentors and Routines: It takes a tribe

A Bit of Writing Prompt Fantasy