Another Feather in my Writer's Cap

I am literally sliding out of the year 2013. Today began with some feathery snow that turned to rain. On the drive home from work the rain mixed with ice and walking up the driveway to the house was like walking on shattered glass. As the precipitation dwindles the temperature drops and I am not looking forward to an icy morning. Black ice is predicted. That means a long slow drive back to work tomorrow and some treacherous walking. I will take tiny steps from the car to the school.

But I am taking big solid steps into the new year!

On January 22 I begin a 6 month long course on writing memoir. I've mentioned this before, but we've had the orientation and I am outlining the book now so this is really going to happen soon. I am very excited to get my story down on paper and with the help of Brooke Warner and Linda Joy Myers, getting it to a publishable stage.

I will also be taking an online course through Story Circle Network with Amber Lea Starfire that will teach me how to publish a chapbook on Create Space at amazon.com. I look forward to this class since I have several chapbooks ready to be published and ideas for many more sparking in my mind.

I have submitted my poetry book with some art work to Cherri LaMarr who is designing my book. "I am My Mother's Only Poem" will be available at amazon.com in print and as an e-book some time early next year.

And as this night nestles into its icy end I find a wonderful email message from Spiritual Writers Network. My short story, "Martini with a Twist," won fourth place in their contest. It will be published in an anthology along with the other winners' stories and poems. These writing successes help me believe I am a writer. They validate the heart and soul I put into every story and poem. I am so excited to see this happening.

The fact that the story's title, "Martini with a Twist," is the working title of my memoir-in-progress is a sign that I am on the right track. As I slide into the coming year I will hold my pen in hand and scribe away. The more I write, the more success I will find. I know this is what I am meant to do. But more than what I do, writing is who I am.

Happy holidays to all my readers who are sharing this literary journey with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poems for Mother's Day

A Bit of Writing Prompt Fantasy

Mentors and Routines: It takes a tribe