READING TO WRITE

A worthwhile piece of advice given to all writers is to read profusely. It's particularly suggested that you read books in the genre in which you are writing. Perhaps reading is the best teacher of how to write, far outweighing how-to books and writing classes and workshops. Critique groups are great and so are editors, but in the end it's your choice and every comment is just one reader's opinion. So in order to prepare myself better to write my memoir I am starting to read published memoirs again. (Of course I'm still taking classes too!)

I just rejoined the internet reading circle at www.storycircle.org. It's fantastic group of women who read and write memoir! I look forward to reading their monthly book choices and engaging in thought provoking and interesting discussions about the books.

At the moment I am reading "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. It's the story of a woman who sets off alone to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Her experiences, both inner and outer, are amazing. She triumphs over so many physical and emotional obstacles. She shows such strength in hiking through hot deserts and freezing snow, often with her feet shod in ill-fitting boots. She endures months of hiking in this wilderness, eating what rations a hiker has available. I doubt many women would survive one week in the elements this way. I know I couldn't, but it goes to show how strong women can be if they need to be. Whether that need is external or internal the strength will prevail.

It's a good read. I'm just finishing the book now.

Next up? Mary Karr's "The Liar's Club."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poems for Mother's Day

A Bit of Writing Prompt Fantasy

Mentors and Routines: It takes a tribe