WHY MEMOIR?

As usual I read a lot of how-to books. How to write novels, how to write poetry, how to write short fiction and now how to write memoir. Memoir is a touchy topic and most books will ask this question first:

Why do you want to write your memoir?

So after years of deliberation these are the answers I have come up with:

  • I have a story I need to tell. It is curled into my heart and I want to expunge it.
  • I believe my story can help other women who are in bad relationships as well as women who have lived with an alcoholic.
  • I love to write.
  • I've written about my happy childhood and I want to balance that with this more disturbing tale.
  • I want to be a published writer.
  • The story tells a transformational tale from my life.
  • It will be therapeutic to write this.
  • I want to share my truth.
I'm sure there are many more reasons. Up front though is the fact that I am a writer and I must write. What better story to tell than my own?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poems for Mother's Day

Mentors and Routines: It takes a tribe

A Bit of Writing Prompt Fantasy